These are some of my favorite quotes that validate the importance of music EVERY day and ALL day in your classroom:
“Music is the most convenient way to learn anything.”
Dr. Pat Wolfe
“People sing because they’re happy, and they’re
happy because they sing!”
“Music forgives a multitude of sins. That’s why you should start
and end your day with a song.”
“Children’s brains light up like a Christmas
tree when they are engaged in music.”
“For thousands of years people have used music to lighten their loads…
Music is a way to help us love each other!”
Here are ten other great reasons to SING!
You can get a chart with the ten reasons in Downloads.)
- Music is multi-sensory. The more senses you get going to the brain, the more likely the message will get there.
- If children are exposed to concepts while singing, it is easier for them to learn them when they are formally introduced.
- Music activates the brain. It can be used as an “indicator” to help children know what to expect and energize learning.
- Music nurtures phonological awareness (alliteration, rhyme, rhythm, etc.).
- Songs and chants are a natural way to develop oral language, auditory memory, and fluency.
- Poems and songs lay a foundation for common knowledge.
- Children are able to use their imaginations and create pictures in their brains when they sing. This is an important part of reading comprehension.
- Repetition is a key to learning. It is much more fun to repeat songs than worksheets!
- Singing and dancing relieve stress and oxygenate the brain.
- Through music and movement ALL children can feel successful. A “community of learners” is enhanced when teachers and children enjoy something together!